We would like to thank you all for your support, patience and commitment during the last few months. The challenges COVID-19 has delivered our community are unprecedented. With the imminent return of all our girls to the College it is pertinent you are aware of the following:
- Students please do not come to school if you have any cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Social distancing will be encouraged and we ask that students take responsibility for this. Teachers will remind students of the 1.5m guidelines, however it is difficult to enforce. We have a number of students, teachers and family members who may be at greater risk, so we ask that students be mindful and accountable for maintaining the correct social distancing where possible.
- Whilst the Government has stipulated that social distancing is not required in school, we will endeavour to social distance within classrooms, however many of our rooms and workspaces are not designed to allow for the spacing.
- Lockers will be used from Monday, 11 May. These areas of high traffic have the potential to see large numbers of students congregating. We ask each student to be responsible and to spend as little time as required at their locker. Guidance will be provided to minimise congregating in groups. However, once again it will require personal responsibility and care from each individual student in ensuring this occurs.
- Soap is available in all toilet areas and we recommend students wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water, as per the AHPPC guidelines. Hand sanitiser is available and ready for student use. Classroom teachers will have cleaning protocols and expectations for their specific areas.
- Communal water fountains will continue to be closed until further notice. Students will need to provide their own or purchase bottled water from Catherine’s Cafe.
- Catherine’s Cafe will be open and fully operational.
- From Monday May 18 the College winter uniform will be mandatory, until then either the summer or winter uniform can be worn.
- Students who have physical education may wear their full PE uniform (tracksuit) on that day to minimise large groups of girls in the changerooms.
- To assist with maintaining the health of all students and staff, parents and caregivers may not enter the College grounds. Arrangements for students arriving late or leaving early should be made by contacting Student Services.
To assist everyone to be aware of the need to socially distance, bright green ribbons will be available to be voluntarily worn by students and staff members who are, or have, someone at home at greater risk of COVID-19. These will be available from Student Services from lunchtime on Monday, 11 May. This is a personal choice. We thought it was worth trying a physical reminder of social distancing because it is so easy to forget and does not come naturally to many people.
Once again thank you for your support of the College during this time. The staff have worked tirelessly to ensure your daughter/s’ education and pastoral care has been of the highest order. We are extremely proud of the unified approach of the Mercedes College community and look forward to the return of all students.
Kerrie Fraser, Principal